4.02.2009

Winter 2008

So I finally downloaded all the pictures from our camera and they go back to winter 2008. Ahh... I remember those two blissful weeks of no school, no papers, no alarm clock. I was in heaven. While in heaven, I was able to jealously watch my ever-so-cautious 4 year old learn how to ski. I say jealous because I WAS! My present for Christmas was supposed to be snowboarding lessons - just like I wasn't supposed to get pregnant the month before and throw my 'schedule' for a loop. But sometimes you can't control the very things you want to and are pleasantly surprised when it doesn't go your way!

Nonetheless, my snowboarding days are put on hold until next Christmas (crossing my fingers). But in my jealous rage, I witnessed the birth of what will you will come to know as a "Ski Machine." Olivia, though she would prefer to be bound in bubble wrap, have padding on top of every joint in her body, and wear a bright orange safety vest with audible sounds to warn everyone of her presence, found her inner lioness. I have been waiting for the day this would come out.

For those that know me know that my lioness is very present, very obvious, and very loud. I will tell you exactly what I think to your face - in the most tactful and diplomatic way possible - but I won't put up with any sh*t. Now, that doesn't mean I can't banter with the best of them and throw a lil' sarcasm around. LOVE TO! But, if you need a reality, I will happily serve it to you on a beautiful, shiny, aromatic platter. And its not just sass that comes with the inner lioness; it is bravery, a daring willingness to try anything (within reason), all-around go-get-em-ness. After all, I did try to ride a Rip Stick of one of my third graders... Needless to say, I am coaxing this part of her, encouraging it to take root and blossom.

So here are some beautiful displays of the young lioness cub venturing from the den without a safety harness. I am mother, hear me roar.

Olivia 'skiing' around the backyard, trying to encourage her to venture out. It obviously is working well judging by the look on her face...

Mouse House at Bogus where there are many a cautious child mixed with many a dare-devil.


Going up the lift... we have surpassed the Bunny hill and are on our way to attack the mountain!


Pageant wave as she descends from her run. What a beauty!


Kickin' it with the crew.

Alas, she survived her boot camp of ski lesson and ended up going up about another dozen times or so with Dad. After her second day post-lessons, I asked her how she did. Her response: "I am a Ski Machine!" Full of confidence, assurance, and exuberance, she stood before me, proud as can be. I almost cried. My young cub had found her own lioness. Go get 'em baby! Take on the world one run at a time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Baby,

Great post! You are a wonderful mother, your daughter is such a spitting image of you. Although she is working on the tact,and the delivery of her confidence daily. You will be up there next year. Do what your friends the New Kids On the Block do and "hang tough".

Kami Satterlee said...

So cute. If Malia wsn't crashing into her every 5 seconds that "machine" probably could have run down the mountain a dozen times haha