9.03.2008

Do you want an Otter Pop?

If you happen to be strolling down the street for your evening walk and hear these words shouted from a average yet unfamiliar neighborhood garage, it could very well be my child, who has successfully completed her transformation from young, wee wild thing to friendly, curious, and somewhat sheriff-like social butterfly. She offered Otter pops to three - count 'em 3! - complete strangers walking by tonight. Let's not forget the countless times she has jolted off our property to one of our many neighbors with a HANDFUL of popsicles in tow. It so nice how they entertain her with their graciousness, suspiciously inspecting the wrapper of said frozen treat for squished bug guts or dog poo. Once they begin to enjoy their delicious sugar-filled icicle, she reminds them of the proper way to eat an Otter Pop, by sqeezing from the bottom-up. If, by chance, you like to work it from the middle, the Butterfly will be quick to point out how inefficient your method is and how right she is.

I digress.

I realize that my last post was on the verge of school starting again and I bet you are chomping at the bit to find out exactly how it is going, as if you had nothing better to occupy your day. Well...........(SIGH!)...................... aside from being ridiculously exhausted, having major muscle cramping in my shoulders, tension headaches, aching feet, and a brain that won't stop reminding me of all the things I still have yet to do........ it's GREAT! Really. I love my class, but as I've told many a collegue (who continually ask me, as if I would say 'no, I don't like 'em this year; their just a bunch of little sh*ts), it wouldn't matter whether I had a *good* *bad* or other class, I'd love every last one of them anyway. I'm just that kind of teacher - sort of Mr Rogers meets Lauryn Hill, blended until smooth with a splash of Barney. During the first week, we didn't do a single thing that was academically related - and surprisingly, this is abnormal?! I guess I did a little too much of the fun and games because today - on the seventh day of school - my students finally got names. They have 'assigned' seats with assigned supplies, assigned books, and assigned expectations. YIKES!

Oh, and I started a master's program. I don't know if I mentioned that earlier. Yep, that's me. I took a good solid nine months off of school and figured that was long enough 'cause now I am back at it. I know. I really need to stop doing drugs. Or maybe start taking them. And no I haven't started running. Don't remind me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lisa.

Olivia should be selling the Otter Pops, so she can save for college! Good thing Phil has lots of time off, so he can continue to be there for you in the classroom and at home. Love your blog and look forward to the updates. Mama