For those of you involved in my life - whether it be new, old, or anywhere in between - I want to thank you. You see, for a large part of my youth, I didn't value the importance of good girlfriends. I missed out. I missed out on the toenail painting, the late-night gossip, the sleepovers, the sneaking out to go to the corner convenience store for junk food, the pretend make-out sessions with pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio and a pillow... wait... I think I did partake in a couple of those... But my point is, I didn't sink myself into my best girlfriends as much as I could have. I let boyfriends get in the way. I was stupid.
Luckily I married an amazing man who has pushed me to remain independent, to find friends. I wouldn't have any if it weren't for him. No joke. This was a MAJOR point of contention during the first 5 years of our marriage. You NEED friends, he would say. I didn't understand why he would NOT want to invite me, the girl who made him eat the squirrel he had shot with a dart gun, to go shoot whistle pigs out in the desert. He would invite his friends instead of me. And I would be stuck at home - friendless and depressed and mad he was killing poor, innocent creatures that he wouldn't eat.
But here I am now, ten years later, and blessed with some of the greatest friends in the world. Whether its catching up poolside while chasing rugrats all over the place, enjoying a delicious libation on the patio of a local watering hole, anticipating the arrival of a friend I haven't seen in years, or getting an incredibly encouraging email from a cyber-friend I have never met but surprisingly feel deeply connected to, I LOVE MY FRIENDS!
I probably don't express how much I appreciate you or NEED you in my life but this is my Lisa-version. Just like I wouldn't be myself without my husband, I would be a complete Lisa without all of you. You give me perspective, encouragement, camaraderie, advice, parenting tips... the list goes on. I appreciate each and every one of you in your own uniquely friendly way! You all are exactly what I need, when I need it and how I need it. None of you are the same but are perfect for me.
I had this conversation a couple of times recently, but friends really are the only relationship (besides spouses) that you choose and have complete control over. Why make it difficult? Why make it hard? Why make it draining, or negative, or anything other than wonderful??? Life is too short! Friends should be the cherry on your sundae... no they should be the whole damn sundae on the first day of your period when you are bloated and gross and miserable but craving anything doused in chocolate, loaded with empty calories and topped with a king-sized candy bar and a side of potato chips. That's exactly what friends should be - what you need when you need it and what you want when you want it. They will also meet you at the gym the next day...
So here's to you, my friends. The oldies, the newbies, and all the in-betweens. I love you. I thank you. I need you. Thanks for inviting me into your life - for taking a chance on a girl who doesn't always come across the right way, who probably says more than she should at inappropriate times, who pushes alcohol, who can sometimes be a now-it-all (but really is clueless), who has insecurities, flaws and cellulite, and who desperately needs friends to accept me as I am in spite of all this and more.
You are great. I think so.
Your friend (hopefully for years to come!),
Lisa
6 comments:
I love this post Lisa! I totally feel you!
Posts like that, are why you have friends that are treasures, and why people like me want to be in your "group" You are amazing, and what an example of the kind of friend I want to be.
Soooo, you going to the fitness show with Kami? Totally facebook stalked saw she asked you. Ok, it did come through my feed actually. hahahah
anywho, if the hubs aren't going and its girls night,,, I could invite myself and you guys wouldn't think I was a freak? Or is that sorta freakish??!?!?
haha lemme know!!
I truly value our friendship (sepeaate from our husband's also) you are like the sister-in-law that I've always wanted :) I love you and appreciate you and the time we get to spend together!
I love you Lis! Friend sister...and soon to be aunt ;) You are such a solid friend, one of my best. Love you so much <3 Sheena
Lisa, this was too cute! I'm right there with you- I love my friends! I'm so grateful to have you as one of them! As we get older we realize just how important friends are and have been! Cheers to all the girlfriends out there having each other's backs!!! :)
Abby
Awwwwwww Lis, I feel so blessed to be your friend. I look up to you so much...you are strong and confident and I admire that about you!! Love you friend!!
Post a Comment